GF diets exclude wheat, rye and barley generally. Many people are sensitive to or cannot eat gluten altogether. If you have a gluten sensitivity, eating gluten can make you feel uncomfortable and even damage your intestines. If you think you have a gluten sensitivity, talk to your doctor to get tested. Below are some tips and general info about GF eating.
Common foods/beverages with gluten:
- Sauces (ie: gravy, marinade)
- Look for the GF logo. Some restaurants will have this beside items.
- Ask for GF options. Many restaurants can accomodate. Get comfortable asking! Examples: is the dressing house-made or bottled? Is there a separate fryer for GF foods?
- Unsure? Ask if the food contains any sauces or coatings that may have gluten. Flour is used in many foods as fillers.
- Social events: call ahead to see if the restaurant has GF options.
Tips for Eating: What to Eat, Shopping, Staying Healthy
- Read labels! Most common food items/beverages have GF options. check in your grocery stores health section. This is typically where all organic and GF stuff is.
- Many foods that naturally do not have gluten may have ingredients that contain gluten (ie: cheese, yogurt). Read the labels.
- Baked goods: some GF boxed baked goods are more unhealthy than the gluten ones. See how much sugar the product contains before buying.
- GF starches/flours: potatoes, potato flour, corn, corn flour, chickpea flour, soy flour, almond meal/flour, coconut flour and tapioca flour.
- Other naturally GF foods: rice, quinoa, meat, fish, eggs, nuts
- Ensure you are getting all your vitamins and nutrients. Some people who are celiac experience nutritional deficiency, particularly Vitamin B.
- Bowel movements: most GF options do not contain fiber, so constipation may be an issue for some. Eat more high-fiber fruits and vegetables (ie: broccoli, beans, lentils, berries).
- If you are struggling with a diet or have questions, contact a dietetican or your doctor.
- Can result in weight loss. A lot of baked goods and other junk food have gluten, so avoiding that will mean you could naturally lose weight!
- Boost energy