How can students go back to school safely? Students in Alberta will be going back to in-person classes this fall, which has some parents worried.
Here is some info based on the announcements made in the past two weeks.
- Classroom sizes will not be restricted
- Masks will not be mandatory for K-Gr 3.
- Masks will be mandatory for Gr 4-12 students in common areas and on school buses. Staff/teachers will also be given masks to use. Supplies will be provided by the Province of AB.
- More outdoor activities
- What measures will be in place for students needing extra assistance? This includes students who may need mental health support, physical/speech therapy, etc.
- Frequent hand washing and sanitization (ie: exiting classroom and school)
- Direction markers in hallways
Other considerations to think about:
- Suggest open windows and doors for airflow when possible
- Immunizations: Are they up to date?
- Food and dining: what will it look like? Think about pre-packaged lunches if meals will not served by the school.
Private schools and universities may have different scenarios will change as numbers increase/decrease. Some are capping classroom sizes and installed plexiglass around each desk.